It’s all over the media and it’s got its own hashtag #SugarFreeFeb, but how easy is it for you to find snacks that are tasty and actually sugar free? Most snacks on the supermarket shelves contain sugar, whether that be cane sugar, honey, maple syrup or the sugar that occurs naturally in fruits. So you need to be reading those ingredients list every time you shop.
However, there is a meat snack that you can eat that is low in sugar content, and that is Cruga Biltong. With only 0.8g of sugars in a 40g pack, it’s about as low as you can get for a tasty, high protein snack. That’s less sugar than a typical protein shake (Cruga biltong has 22.1g of protein in a 40g packet)!
You can eat biltong as a regular snack, as a post gym pick-me-up or you can add it to your favourite foods as an ingredient.
Why not try our Cruga Biltong and Bean Salad? This recipe is so easy, even the most inexperienced of cooks can rustle it up in no time. If you are looking for a quick lunch that is healthy and packs in the protein, then this salad is for you. You will need the following ingredients:
• 1 packet of Cruga Original Beef Biltong (Cruga Chilli Beef Biltong would work well too)
• Mixture of prepared canned beans (we used barlotti, haricot, black eye beans and chickpeas)
• ¼ orange pepper
• Red onion mixed with lemon juice
• 1 stick of celery
1. Cut the red onion into long thin slices. Place into a bowl and mix with the juice of a lemon. Leave the red onion to marinate in the lemon juice whilst making the rest of the salad (you can leave the red onion in the lemon juice overnight to get the most out of the flavour).
2. Meanwhile, chop the pepper and celery. Pour the beans, sweetcorn and chopped vegetables into a large bowl. Thinly slice the biltong and add it to the bowl.
3. Mix together and add seasoning to taste. Dish into a bowl or plate and place the marinated red onions on top.
How you can include biltong as part of a healthy, balance diet
You can stock up on Cruga Biltong here.