It’s all over the media, it’s got its own hashtag #SugarFreeFeb, but how easy is it for you to find snacks that are tasty and actually sugar free? Well it’s not, most snacks on the shelves also contain sugar, whether that be cane sugar, honey, maple syrup or the sugar that occurs naturally in fruits. So you need to be reading those ingredients list every time you shop.
However, there is a meat snack that you can snack on that is low in sugar content (not sugar free but is definitively low) and that is Cruga Biltong. With only 0.8g of sugars in a 40g pack, it’s about as low as you can get for a tasty, high protein snack that can be enjoyed on the move.
In terms of the protein content each 40g pack has 22.1g of protein per pack, which makes for a perfect portion to spread out your protein intake throughout the day.
We’d always recommend that you snack Cruga biltong as part of a healthy balanced diet but who can’t resist a bit of biltong in it now and again.
You can also add biltong to salads for something a bit different. Why not try…
Cruga Biltong and Bean Salad
This recipe is so easy, even the most inexperienced of cooks can rustle it up in no time. If you are looking for a quick lunch that is healthy and packs in the protein, then this salad is for you. You will need the following ingredients:
• 1 packet of Cruga Original Beef Biltong (Cruga Chilli Beef Biltong would work well too)
• Mixture of prepared canned beans (we used barlotti, haricot, black eye beans and chickpeas)
• ¼ orange pepper
• Red onion mixed with lemon juice
• 1 stick of celery
1. Cut the red onion into long thin slices. Place into a bowl and mix with the juice of a lemon. Leave the red onion to marinate in the lemon juice whilst making the rest of the salad (you can leave the red onion in the lemon juice overnight to get the most out of the flavour).
2. Meanwhile, chop the pepper and celery. Pour the beans, sweetcorn and chopped vegetables into a large bowl. Thinly slice the biltong and add it to the bowl.
3. Mix together and add seasoning to taste. Dish into a bowl or plate and place the marinated red onions on top.
How you can include biltong as part of a healthy, balance diet
You can stock up on Cruga Biltong here.